👆When music makes me feel like this, I know it’s special. Like the image above, it evokes pure joy. The Rock Radar mixtape series is a semi-regular collection of my favorite new and emerging bands (expect a new entry as soon as another 60 or 90 minutes of great new tracks crosses my radar). I’m creating these for myself as old-school, analog mixtapes. Time capsules of music discovery. Something to enjoy for years to come. And something to share with my friends, whether they prefer digital or analog.
I only include songs that I absolutely love hearing on repeat.
Below you’ll find everything you need to enjoy the hell out my first mixtape:
- Spotify playlists for Side A + Side B.
- Song.Link URLs for every track, for those who don’t use Spotify.
- For the purists: Complete MP3 versions of Side A and Side B (these are lengthy ~45m audio files designed to be recorded onto each side of a 90-minute blank tape; they feature custom EQ, volume normalization, manual crossfading, and of course the requisite 5 seconds of silence up front).
- A printable cassette J-card PDF file that has the original album art, tracklist, and personal liner notes.
Enjoy, listen LOUDLY, support the bands, and share the music!
Rock Radar #1 Playlists On Spotify
If you want to dive right in, just press play on these Spotify playlists, but be warned you’ll only hear the full tracks if you have Spotify Premium. Because these are meant to be enjoyed as classic mixtapes, I’ve separated the playlists into Side A and Side B.
Direct Downloads: Side A + B Album Art + J-Card
I’ve created digital mp3 files for each side of this mixtape. Each one features shorter gaps between tracks, some light crossfading, and a custom EQ ideal for recording to tape. There’s even a PDF file so you can print off the J-Card and stick it in your homemade cassette!
Song.Link URLs: Side A
For your convenience, these are links to stream or buy every track on a number of streaming platforms including Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, and Amazon.
- Turnstile: Mystery
- Cave In: Blood Spiller
- Gun: Backstreet Brothers
- Momma: Speeding 72
- October Drift: Webcam Funerals
- Long Distance Calling: Giants Leaving
- L.S. Dunes: Permanent Rebellion
- The Crew: One Voice
- Ginger Wildheart & The Sinners: That Smile
- The Blue Stones: Don’t Miss
- Joyce Manor: Let It Go
- PLTS: On & On
- Master Boot Record: 8086
Song.Link URLs: Side B
- Bartees Strange: Heavy Heart
- Bexley: Sick
- Neckscars: Jarring
- The Sewer Rats: Rejuvenate
- Wet Leg: Chaise Longue
- Nothing But Thieves: Real Love Song
- Mo Lowda & The Humble: Pearls
- Dan Andriano & The Bygones: Sea Level
- Beach Riot: Tune In, Drop Out
- VALERAS: Let Me Go
- Sick Joy: Don’t Feel Like Dying
- Reuben & The Dark: Timelapse Clouds
2 thoughts on “MIXTAPE | Rock Radar #1: The Best Music You’ve Never Heard”
As the freak that uses Qobuz, would you like the Qobuz links for any of these tracks for the song.link page?
No, that’s OK but thanks for offering! (based on the clicks, it’s probably not worth the effort) I do wish Song.Link would include Qobuz though.